#OneDay2019 by SJV
#ONEDAY is now over for another year – a huge thank you to every single author who sent their first chapter to us. We are in the process of reading every entry we received and responding to everyone.
For the sixth year running we are throwing away, ripping up and laughing in the face of rules, tradition and standard practice, and flinging open our doors (and our arms) to prospective new commercial women’s fiction authors like YOU, with our #OneDay only opportunity for you to send in the first chapter of your novel to us on Open Submission for consideration for our #DigitalOriginals publishing programme – the eBook first strategy that has launched Andy Jones, Heidi Swain, Holly Hepburn, Penny Parkes, Catherine Bennetto, Juliet Ashton, Victoria Walters, Clara Christensen, Robyn Harding, Katherine Collette, The Book Ninjas, Claire Frost, Caroline Scott and Christina Pishiris here at @TeamBATC HQ.
That’s right people; ignore everything you’ve been told that you absolutely MUST have a Literary Agent or know-someone-who-plays-badminton-with-the-postman-who-delivers-to-a-man-who-works-in-books to get your foot in the door at a publishing house. Because for #OneDay only, today, 15th July 2019, you really don’t.
In an even more exciting twist to the story, we are absolutely delighted to announce that Heidi Swain, a true star on our #DigitalOriginals list, has very kindly agreed to be a Guest Reader this year. I KNOW!! So not only will Commercial Women’s Fiction Brand Director SJV, Editor and #DigitalOriginals Project Manager Bec, and the rest of the Team read your submission, but a Sunday Times Bestselling author will too. Stuff of dreams people, stuff of dreams…
All you need is a 500 word introduction to who you are (to include your full name, postal address, telephone number and your social media profile details) and a cracking first chapter (up to 5,000 words, as a word document, double spaced).
Whether you’ve been previously published or not, this is the perfect opportunity to submit your work and have a chance to be published by the award-winning, international publishing house behind #DigitalOriginals – Simon & Schuster UK Ltd.
#DigitalOriginals is committed to the goal of building a culturally diverse publishing list. We encourage authors to submit their work regardless of age, race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, social circumstance or disability status.
Here are some general guidelines to help you in your submission to us:
- The term ‘commercial women’s fiction’ is generally used to mean fiction that appeals primarily to women, though is not necessarily written by a women, and tends to be full of modern relationships featuring friends, family and lovers. It can be funny, it can be sad, but most of all it covers great storytelling with believable characters and plot. It rarely (see: NEVER) features aliens, guts and gore, zombies, ladies in crinolines, dragons, child wizards or autopsies. We aren’t looking for non-fiction – so no memoirs, biographies, narrative history or illustrated non-fiction, no poetry, plays, short stories, essays, thrillers, crime novels, children’s or YA fiction, children’s picturebooks, historical novels, graphic novels, westerns or saga, mind body spirit, religious titles, health and fitness, educational texts or erotica.
If we are interested in seeing more of your work, we will contact you by 9th September 2019, at which time we will ask you to send your complete novel (no less than 80,000 words, no more than 100,000) as a word document (or equivalent) double spaced.
- We will consider novels that have been previously published, providing you have retained full rights, or had rights reverted back to you.
- If your novel is acquired by us, we will publish in digital format, which will be available across all e-tailers in the English language across the World. You will be working with our experienced in-house team, and will be provided with a contract, full editorial input including copy editing and proof reading, a suite of marketing and publicity promotion and an eBook jacket.
- We are not a vanity or custom publisher. #DigitalOriginals is part of the Simon & Schuster UK publishing company. A #DigitalOriginals author will benefit from the Simon & Schuster editorial, marketing, publicity and sales expertise and your contract with us under the #DigitalOriginals project offers you the same benefits as all Simon & Schuster UK authors receive.
- Only one entry is permitted per person.
- All entries must be received between the hours of 6.00am and midnight on 15th July 2019.
My top tips are:
- Write a book you would most like to read
- Make me laugh
- Make it fresh and original
- Make me cry
- Keep the story moving
- Grab me from the first page
- Tell me a story I haven’t read before
- Excite, engage and captivate me
- Create characters I will believe in
- Remember, we are only looking for ‘commercial women’s fiction’!