#AmWriting by SJV
Thank you to everyone who submitted their #DigitalOriginals #OneDay #amwriting project! Emma Capron and I will be working our way through them all asap and will be in touch with all those we’re interested in soonest.
For the fifth year running we are throwing away, ripping up and laughing in the face of rules, tradition and standard process, and opening our doors to prospective new commercial women’s fiction authors like YOU, with our #OneDay only opportunity for you to send in the first chapter of your novel to us on Open Submission for consideration for our #DigitalOriginals publishing programme – the eFirst strategy that launched Andy Jones, Heidi Swain, Holly Hepburn, Penny Parkes, Catherine Bennetto, Juliet Ashton and Victoria Walters here at @TeamBATC HQ.
That’s right people; ignore everything you’ve been told that you absolutely MUST have an agent or know-someone-who-knows-someone-who-plays-golf-with-the-milkman-who-delivers-the-semi-skimmed-to-a-woman-who-works-in-books to get your foot in the door at a publishing house. Because for #OneDay only, on 15th July 2018, you really don’t.
All you need is a 500 word (max) introduction to who you are (to include your full name, postal address and telephone number) and a cracking first chapter (up to 5,000 words, as a word document, double spaced).
So, whether you’ve been previously published or not, this is the perfect opportunity to submit your work and have a chance to be published by the award-winning, international publishing house behind #DigitalOriginals – Simon & Schuster UK Ltd.
#DigitalOriginals is committed to the goal of building a culturally diverse publishing list. We encourage authors to submit their work regardless of age, race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, social circumstance or disability status.
Here are the guidelines to help you….
- The term ‘commercial women’s fiction’ is generally used to mean fiction that appeals primarily to women, though is not necessarily written by a women, and tends to be full of modern relationships featuring friends, family and lovers. It can be funny, it can be sad, but most of all it covers great storytelling with believable characters and plot. It rarely (see: NEVER) features aliens, guts and gore, zombies, ladies in crinolines, dragons, child wizards or autopsies. We aren’t looking for non-fiction including memoirs, biographies, narrative histories and illustrated non-fiction, poetry, plays, short stories, essays, thrillers, children’s or YA fiction, children’s picturebooks, crime novels, historical novels, graphic novels, westerns or saga, mind body spirit, religious titles, health and fitness, educational texts or erotica.
If we are interested in seeing more of your work, we will contact you within six weeks, at which time we will ask you to send your complete novel (no less than 80,000 words, no more than 100,000) as a word document (or equivalent) double spaced.
- We will consider novels that have been previously published, providing you have retained full rights, or had rights reverted back to you.
- If your novel is selected, we will publish in digital format, which will be available across all e-tailers in the English language across the World. You will be working with our experienced in-house team, and will be provided with a contract, full editorial input including copyediting and proofreading, a suite of marketing and publicity promotion and an eBook jacket.
- We are not a vanity or custom publisher. #DigitalOriginals is part of the Simon & Schuster UK publishing company. A #DigitalOriginals author will benefit from the Simon & Schuster editorial, marketing, publicity and sales expertise and your contract with us under the #DigitalOriginals project offers you the same benefits as all Simon & Schuster UK authors receive.
- Only one entry is permitted per person.
- All entries must be received between the hours of 6.00am and midnight on 15th July 2018.